3.23.2009

Settling In

We are getting used to our new reality. We can talk about "it" without crying or avoiding each others eye contact.

Today Wayne had a great day. He wanted to work, he climbed the stairs to help me with the kids during the time of night all us parents know as the "witching hour," we sat at the table tonight happily eating hummus and chit chatting about stuff.

We are settling in.

We've got another week or two before his heart surgery, and then all of April will be about recovering, more chemo, recovering, more chemo ...

So, I'm trying to think of fun things that we can do, that wouldn't take too much out of him. Maybe a trip to the mountains?

It was windy all weekend, so we didn't get pictures taken like I had hoped. However, I am feeling like pulling out the camera, so look for pictures soon (blogs without pictures can be so boring - maybe you would all like to see Wayne's rotation of pajama pants?)

He had another appt today (every MWF) to check his coumadin levels (blood thinner) and everything is looking good. Wayne was researching nutrition today - trying to come up with things that will help his immune system. I offered organic fruit smoothies (thinking of you, Paula), but he is jumping into the wheatgrass arena.

He just walked in, and I said I was blogging, and he said, "it just feels good to feel normal."

Couldn't have said it better.

11 comments:

  1. May I suggest a Jack La Lanne juicer? This thing is so easy to use and easy to clean and you can put anything in it. We make regular concoctions of apple, carrot, ginger and it is super yummy. I am sure wheat grass would work too, but not sure. Here is the link: http://www.powerjuicer.com/
    Check it out if you haven't already.
    So glad you have a routine and everyone is home together. I hope you had a relaxing weekend.
    Let me know if you need any juice tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:41 PM

    Val and Wayne,

    Soooooooooooooooooooo good to hear that Wayne is feeling normal again! I thought about you all weekend and was hoping that this Monday's blog would say something like this. :) A nice drive somewhere will do you both good! If the weather cooperates, maybe a picnic!?! I will send some AZ sunshine up just for you!! Love you and thinking about you as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:16 PM

    I've heard "juicing" is a wonderful way to get tons of excellent nutrients and depending on the type of vegetable or fruit should be easy on his stomach. It would require you to get a juicer of course, but from what I hear the benefits are worth the investment. Actually thinking of getting one for our family. Let us know how he likes the Wheatgrass!
    Thinking of you guys as always.

    The Lanes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:25 PM

    You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:28 PM

    Val, thanks for the frequent updates. I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing a few pics of Wayne's jammies, or whatever else you want to post. It's just great being able to keep in tune with everything, especially given the distance. Very glad to hear some positive news, and hoping for much more!

    Wayne, you're still a Wayniac to me. Keep it up buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops - sorry for the delete. I thought I was logged in, but it was Delise's account.

    I was just thinking today about Wayne, Brian and I eating cheddar burgers at the streetcar named desire in KC. I guess that isnt the best for the immune system, so the juicing will have to do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:09 AM

    Glad there is good news that Wayne is feeling better. The homefront is for sure a great healing tool ! But the Jammies.....TMI
    ha ha I have heard lemons are great too for helping with the treatment and nausea - would be good in your new juicer you will purchase today (see, I do know you ! ha) take care - love and lots of prayers too Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Val,

    Thank you so much for sharing.. Whenever a new post goes up, I read it and I can't tell you what it means to me. My wife was diagnosed with Melanoma two years ago. Three surgeries and a bunch of treatments later, she is doing great. So much of what you say brings back memories--but so much of it is also different.

    Wayne,
    I started with the Jack La Lanne juicer and the wheatgrass when my wife was going through her treatments. It's a habit that I haven't broken yet (almost every morning for the wheatgrass).

    Take care,
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous11:49 AM

    Val & Wayne,
    You two are truly inspiring, and I pray for continued recovery for you Wayne! May God continue to bless and keep you safe during these tough times!
    Sincerely, Mike & Lori Beatty

    ReplyDelete

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */