10.27.2009

Worry.



I worry about Caeden. I worry he pays too much attention to getting more than giving/sharing. I worry he doesn't eat enough vegetables. I worry he isn't paying enough attention to learning at home (writing, sounds of letters ... totally boring to him). I worry about normal Mom stuff. Like you Moms out there know. We worry, right?

This morning I worried as we pulled up to the hospital and Wayne got out of the truck to say his good bye's to us. Caeden started to cry and said, "Daddy I worry about you!"

And my heart broke. And Wayne's did, too - it was written all over his face.

The way to the hospital we talked about normal things, like what he needed to do for work, who he was going to call (old friends/colleges/relatives) to catch up and say hello to. We talked about his Dad flying in this afternoon, about just normal stuff.

We didn't talk about the things that keep us up at night. The things we worry about.

But Caeden. Little Caeden Koop has worries all his own that we can't explain away. And his worries must be so scary to him. I know he was thinking about dropping his Dad off at the hospital and what usually comes along with that - a high strung Mom, nights of being tucked in by just me and not his Dad, a Dad that doesn't feel so hot ...

Sometimes I can really make myself sick with the things I worry about. But, I am always able to figure it out, calm down, and move on. It's so hard to think that I can't do that for Caeden. For as many times as we explain what Wayne's "generator" (Caeden's word for Wayne's chemo pump that he wears 24/7) does, or how the chemo is killing the cancer bugs, Caeden still holds onto worry all his own.

And that is the way it is, isn't it? We all live in our own bubble of worry.

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it.

5 comments:

  1. Dear, Sweet Caeden...I know it's breaking your heart to watch your little boy "worry" about his Daddy. I can't imagine the "worry" you go through everyday. My only advice is to cast all your "worries" to God. Love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is tough, so tough. My heart breaks for him and other children that have a hard time processing this. I guess just continue to let him talk about how he feels, that is probably the best thing for all of you...Communication.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4:20 PM

    Give it all to God! I love you girlfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:41 PM

    I will offer this: Caeden is young enough now to not have a great memory of Wayne being sick. He will remember bits and pieces but this isn't something that will stay with him in the negative sense. What will stay with him is the ability to be empathetic to others because of what Wayne (and you too) is going through and how you are handling it as a couple, as a family, as a mom. You are raising a sensitive MAN and that is a great thing because of the examples that are being set in his life RIGHT NOW.
    A friend told me a story the other day that sticks with me now: Two sisters were in a concentration camp during WWII. They were held in a cell that was infested with fleas and one of the sisters always prayed and thanked God for the fleas. The other sister asked why she would thank God for something so awful as the fleas. The other sister said that God must have sent the fleas for a reason.
    After the war, the women found out that the Nazis would go to the other womens cells and rape them but they never came to the sisters because of the fleas. So.... thank God for fleas.
    In everything bad, something good emerges. You will see the blessings of Wayne getting sick someday, and you will be amazed at what they are. In the mean time, know that you CAN do this and raise an exceptional young man at the same time.
    Big Hugs,
    Carisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think Caeden's "worry" is a great reflection on how his mom and dad have taught him about love. How great is it that this little boy has so much love for his dad, and knows what "worry" is from such a caring mom.

    Kudos to both you guys!

    ReplyDelete

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */