7.18.2009

Day 1 Down

Wayne had his blood transfusion and first day of chemo yesterday. We arrived at MDA at 9 am, fought hard for a parking spot, and left at 7 pm. Our car was about the last one in that previous over-packed garage.

The hospital room was nothing like PSL (first hospital in Denver for his chemo). Here he has a large, private room. Extremely clean (sad that I have to say this, but man, we've seen a lot over the past 4 months) and bright. Wonderful nurse named Mou (Moooo) who treated Wayne amazingly well.

Wayne perked up after the transfusion. He felt a TON better and started talking to me and watched a little t.v. Then he slept the day away.

The drip, drip, drip of the chemo being pushed into Wayne is a sound I will never, ever be able to get out of my head.

His sweet bald head was beading with perspiration all day as he lay snuggled under the pre-warmed blankets. Getting him warm is a victory.

This morning I went downstairs to the hotel lobby to get him breakfast. There was a group of high school boys, traveling for some sport or another, and I stuck out like a sore thumb with my Kansas sweatshirt on. I took Wayne oatmeal and came back down to get myself some, and I hear this:

"Dang. She was just here."
And then his friend says:
"I'll tell you one thing, Kansas girls sure can eat!"

So today is starting off good. Wayne has chemo at 1:00 today, it's hot outside, and I really want another cup of coffee but am afraid of running into the food police downstairs.

Wayne says hello!

More later...

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:55 AM

    Maybe you should tell those lil' boys that they must lead pretty lame lives if they have to keep track of what a total stranger is eating. (And then take a BIG bite of your food, and twirl yourself around, with your hair trailing behind you, and use your best runway walk to exit ther room!)

    I am glad that Wayne is feeling better after the transfusion. Tough man, he is....must get that from his wife. :) Love you girl!

    Kellie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:06 PM

    Oh that is hilarious about the breakfast monitors. Good grief. Glad things went well today! When you get back we need to do lunch 'k' or something! I'm finally getting my puppy to the point that he doesn't need me to come let him out every day at lunch so we'll have to get together! :) hugs Allison

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure thinking about you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:12 AM

    Thinking about you guys. I'll write from my yahoo acct to make thing easier to stay in touch!
    Hugs,
    Carisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope everything is okay, I'm thinking about you & sending lots of prayers your way!

    ReplyDelete

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */