9.09.2008

Something To Think About

To say I have a hard time surrendering control is an understatement. I thrive on list making, task prioritizing, schedules, and everything clean, orderly and in it's place. I need a plan every day. It's just the way I am.

When I have babies, I need to remember that MY schedule (sleeping at night), MY needs (a shower, clean teeth, some computer time while wearing a size 6 in clothing), MY wants (the gym, perfectly cooked healthy dinner, family time that does not include time-outs, melt downs, shaking sand out of bodily orifices) really doesn't matter.

I drive myself crazy second guessing why my life is chaos right now. I can't make plans because I have no idea what kind of day (or night) awaits me, making dinner is overwhelming (I cook once a week. Or, cook more often but don't want it once it is made), the house gets cleaned one-room-at-a-time/per day, folded laundry sits on the kitchen table ... awaiting the day I will finally get to putting it away. I haven't had a face-to-face conversation with a friend since we went to SD. I need a haircut/color so badly, but have no idea when to schedule it because just getting out of the house is a major miracle.

Claire sleeps in a swing or in my arms only. Caeden has quit taking naps but falls apart once 4 pm hits. I didn't get out of my pajama pants today but you better believe the kids looked like a million bucks. Nothing makes sense.

And then I talked to a friend who really helped me out. She reminded me that Claire is still itty bitty. It is OK to be in survival mode for at least another 3 months. It is OK that 'take out' is the only thing your son is eating (Well, mostly. He also eats Cheez-its. I make my guilt disappear by feeding him Juice Plus vitamins). It is OK that the house isn't picture perfect (although it is clean, I swear). It is all going to be OK. Can I just tell you that her saying that really, really, really helped me out of my tail spin?

And then I found this:

Thomas Moore :
To live ordinary life artfully is to have this sensibility about the things in daily life, to live more intuitively and to be willing to surrender a measure of our rationality and control in return for gifts of the soul.

In return for gifts of the soul. I have two beautiful children that fill me with so much happiness that there are not words for it. I have a husband who gets me - and is in the trenches with me. As long as I have them, I am willing to surrender a measure of rationality and control (in fact, I don't have any, so it is quite easy). They are all I need. And I need to think about that before I work myself up about all the things I didn't get to - about what is undone. I have them. And that overwhelming sense of love I feel for my family exists whether my to-do list is done or not.

Deep Breath. I just had another baby. She is my gift. And everything is going to be OK.

4 comments:

  1. Amen, sister. You said it perfectly. Can I just tell you that I think you're pretty darn close to perfect? I know that your house is more "in order" than you think, you look "greater" than you think, and you are providing more healthy meals that you think. Just looking at the recipes you send out proves that! You are an AMAZING mother. And you are blessed beyond measure. LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful post. thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You put into words what I feel everyday and I only have the one child. Thank you for reminding me that not "everything" has to be perfect and that as long as our babies are looking better than we do we are doing pretty darn good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THREE MONTHS!?!?! Man! I feel like crap now. Just kidding!

    Great post. Thank heaven for friends to get us through the rough patches!

    ReplyDelete

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */